by Casey Thompson © 2018 Bike It! Bellagio
Great news for tourists! As a non-EU tourist, you are eligible for tax reimbursements (a rebate). Specifically, residents of all countries are eligible for these “tax-free services” (except Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Monaco, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden).
We are happy to share that Bike It! Bellagio is registered for “tax-free service.” What does this mean? When you buy any physical good for personal or family use, the purchase price includes the Italian VAT (IVA) of 22%. The “tax-free service” is actually a tax rebate of 12.7%, more than half of the 22% IVA. To obtain this rebate, request an invoice from any tax-free store during your stay and then bring it to Customs upon your departure. Here are the details:
(1) Purchase goods of your choice at a tax-free store (like ours!). The total value of goods purchased must amount to a minimum total of €154.94 to be eligible for the service (the total includes tax, the IVA). Remember, this total value must only include goods.
(2) The goods you purchased must be returning with you to your home country within 3 months of the date of purchase. (*Pack your items at the top of your suitcase, in case you are chosen for a random control check.)
(3) Ask for a detailed invoice with the tax-free sticker and form from our store. We will provide you with both of these documents in an envelope to take with you to the airport. This document will specify how much of the total value is tax (IVA). (We will need a passport and credit card number to complete these forms. The credit card is necessary, even for cash purchases, because the rebate will be posted to your credit card account.)
(4) When checking in for you flight at the airport, tell the airline representative at the counter that you have tax-free items to claim in Customs. You will be directed to the tax-free office where you will present your invoice and receipts. The tax-free representative will stamp your form, then you can post the form in the prepaid envelope in a mailbox at the airport (or even back in your home country). *The envelopes are prepaid, so you will not need postage stamps.
(5) Within 1 month (ideally), you will receive the tax reimbursement posted to your credit card account. The total reimbursement will amount to 12.7% of the total you paid.
You may be wondering why the reimbursement is made by credit card and not in cash at the airport. Getting your reimbursement in cash is inconvenient, as you would receive euros and not your home currency, thus waiting for the credit card reimbursement is the preferred way to obtain your tax rebate.
If you would like to order a Bianchi bike from Bike It! Bellagio to take home with you after your stay, know that you will receive a rebate of 12.7% on the total purchase price. This 12.7% is significant savings, especially on new bikes!
What to Know When Buying a Bianchi in Italy
If you are interested in ordering a new Bianchi with us to take home with you after your stay and take advantage of the tax-free service, we recommend the following:
· Research the frame geometry and know your size before ordering. You can also send us your measurements for suggestions. Order your bike with us at least 1 month in advance of your arrival date.
· Know the cost of transporting a bike with your airline company. Depending on the airline company and where you’re flying, this cost typically ranges from 50 to 200 euro. If you purchase your bike from Bike It! Bellagio, we will provide a heavy-duty cardboard bike box, which includes several protective covers inside the box.
· Notify your local bike shop that you will need to assemble your new bike and ask for a price. Bike shops typically assemble a bike for $85-$100 in the U.S., depending on the shop and type of bike.
Via Valassina 103 Bellagio, Italy 22021
Daily from Bellagio's town center, in front of the car ferry station at 9:00 a.m., and
9:20 a.m. *on reservation*.
Free parking at the shop
chat on WhatsApp or facetime audio!
+39 334 975 1604
Tax ID/P..Iva 03707810135